Monday, March 29, 2010

Plain little Cinderella bed gets her princess slipper...


My sweet 4 year old daughter wanted a "princess bed".

Enter CL sweet find of the day...that's Craigslist to you people out there in bloggy land. I only discovered CL 2 years ago (I know how completely in the dark ages am I??)
Well, as you know, CL is a plethora of good bargains. 
And some really nasty stuff too. 
Like c'mon people...are you really going to sell that dog peed on, nasty, ripped, brown & orange tweed, looks like a tornado dropped it on your front porch couch for $100?? Well, whatever floats your boat!

I did, however, find this little antique spindle bed--with side rails--for $30. I even found a cute matching spindle side table for $5 (no pics sorry). It was boring, brown stain & poly finish peeling and chipped. Looked weathered after being in a storage shed for too many years.
But it did have the makings of a cute little girly bed...

I saw her cutie-pie potentail peeking out from beneath that weathered exterior...but she needed a makeover...so I whipped out my trusty trigger finger--thank God for the spray paint holder gripper thing--(bought at Wally World what a life saver) and I started spraying like a crazed woman gasping for air between blasts. 

Seriously, spray painting in a breeze outdoors can be a pain in the butt but I hadn't any room in the over stuffed garage!! 

It took some wood filler for the gaps in the wood grain, a face mask, some goggles, (for that wind induced over spray) 1 can of oil based spray primer and 3 cans of white gloss, sanding the bugs off between coats (darn gnats!!) but....
I
have 
unveiled 
princess
bed!!

You should have seen her with her little sidekick spindle legged table (sorry, no pics *sniff*)
all cute and crisp white with a little vintage lamp,
chunky antique picture frame-turned tray, & cute porcelain bunny 
all bought for a mere $5 at a garage sale


Fit for a 4 year old princess :) I should have dressed her all up but she looked cute as is!

ok...one more look...


(ok you didn't notice she needed another coat of paint right?)
she got it post pics 
I have to admit, I did find another (even cuter!!) 4 poster bed for my daughter (for $20!!!) so I sold this set for $175...not a bad profit at all I must say!
I am looking forward to seeing all the other "before & afters"at the Metamorphosis Monday Blog party hosted by Between Naps On The Porch.
Enjoy! :) 


Cynthia

7 comments:

  1. It looks soooo cute! Cant wait to see what you do with the girls room.... :) What exactly does the spray paint holder thingie do???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I used a spray paint holder tool to prevent finger spray and finger cramping...http://www.castlewholesalers.com/RUST-OLEUM-243546-SPRAY-GRIP-for-Aerosol-Spray-Paint-Cans.html you can get something similar at Wal-mart for about $3...handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job and way to go on the resale!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty bed that turned out to be. Way to go on the resale!

    I agree with the spray paint tool thingy. It's the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, I think I remember having one like that when I was young :)

    Thanks for visiting and for the nice comment. I love white slipcovers too, but this is my first time ever having one.

    I love that coffee table too. It is SOLID and distressed perfectly (not too much) and a lovely creamy white, and I bought it off of Kijiji for a song. $60.

    When I get a comment, I receive an email. Since you don't have an email address associated with your blog account, I was not able to respond to your comment. You might want to consider creating a gmail account specifically for that purpose. I can't tell you the number of times I have posted a long winded response to a comment, only to have it float away into never land. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments! I love refinishing furniture and if I can sell it & makes me some moolah--happy I shall be :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel: Thanks & good advice! I do have a google email account created for this blog (bargainbellissimo@gmail.com)
    I'm not sure how to get it linked up to send me notifications if someone posts here. I just check my blog cause I'm new and comments are limited. I can see it being handy once you get more!! I will be looking into this today :)

    ReplyDelete